Spring Cleaning means that you have to clean everything… well, maybe not everything but you do have to put a little elbow grease to the floor. I don’t know about you but I don’t always think about what cleaning your vacuum. This weekend I decided as part of the my 4M series – Margarita’s Manic Monday Minutes, I will give you a quick overview on cleaning your vacuum cleaner. This workhorse gets banged around, pull and pushed everywhere and it picks up a lot of dust. Its time to give it a good overhaul before the true spring cleaning begins. You can imagine that the canister, filters and brushes all get dirty and grimy. Here are a few tips to keep your vacuum cleaner – C.L.E.A.N.
5 Things to clean on your vacuum cleaner:
- Clean the canister. That is the first thing that gets filled and emptied. Make sure to give it a rinse and keep the dust to a minimum.
- Clean the filter. Run water through it to clear the dust but also to keep it fresh. Replace it if you have to but most are sturdy fabric filters. Make sure to air dry well before you install back in the machine to avoid mould build up.
- Clean the brushes (yup, that is a lot of hair that was wrapped around the brush). It won’t do the job if it has nothing to grasp on. If the hair gets to thick, it could damage the belt and slow the machine down and cause a strain on the motor.
- Clean the tubes (I forgot to mention this in the video). Make sure that air can pass through them easily and without obstruction.
- Clean all outside of the machine. Day-in and day-out all your vacuum does is collect dust. Give it a good wipe down to keep that from flying all over the room the next time that you turn it on.